Camp Dirty

For the past 3 summers, my boys have gone to a day camp at a local park. The camp has a very active, old-school mentality. The kids go on a field trip every day, the rest of the time they're running around at the park. Upon drop-off, the kids are invited to join a game of football, Gaga ball, catch, etc. Those that aren't ready for sports have the option to go in the pavilion for arts and crafts or board games. Phones and tablets are strictly prohibited, even from the CIT's and counselors (only the director has a phone for emergencies). The camp has a very laid-back, relaxed atmosphere. It feels like a camp straight out of the 80's.


Here's a picture of the happy boys after a day at camp.

This year we decided to switch the kids to another camp that (as we understood it) has a similar format. The benefits of the new camp are that it's significantly closer to our home and many kids from their school attend. Imagine my surprise when I arrived at the camp on the first day to find all the kids sitting at picnic tables looking at their phones and iPads waiting to go on the field trip.

After the first day, my younger son begged us not to send him back to the camp. We had a long talk and I confirmed that no one is hurting him, he's just really bored there. The older one confirmed it's pretty boring at the beginning and end of the day. They don't have anything for them to do after 4 PM (we pick them up after 5:30). At pickup, they are completely clean and don't smell even remotely sweaty. The boys REEK after a day at their air-conditioned elementary school, so I can't understand how they don't stink after a day outdoors at a park.

This morning I saw a group of kids lined up to take turns tossing a kickball to a counselor standing 10 feet away. Wow. Vigorous.

As one of my girlfriends put it: "My kids can do nothing at home for free!"

My husband and I feel like we're the only people who think this is bad. The camp was dismissive about our complaints, most of the other parents at the camp don't seem bothered by the lack of organized activities.

Needless to say, my kids are going back to their old camp this Monday morning.

I'll be buying a case of bleach for their camp shirts this weekend.

Comments

  1. What a great read. I agree that there should be no phones allowed at camp. Kids need to be outdoors, exercising, experiencing nature and seeing what it has to offer. I love the pic of the Boyz!! May the rest of their summer be all they want it to be!😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your article. I agree 100% no phones or electronic devices. BTW, love the picture of the boys.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Father's Day, My Way

What have we gotten ourselves into?